Clarke County, Georgia Records
Clarke County, Georgia (Map It) was created on December 5, 1801(Unified on January 14, 1991) from Jackson County. Portions of Clarke County were used to create Madison County (1811) and Oconee County (1875). Clarke County was named in honor of Elijah Clarke (1733 - 99), a Revolutionary War hero.
A Map of Clarke County, Georgia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Clarke County, Georgia Courthouse Records
Clarke County, GA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Clarke county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- History of Baker County, Georgia Courthouse
- Clarke County Clerk of Superior Court has Land Records from 1801 and Court Records from 1801. The County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county. Be aware that Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries for the years 1805, 1807, 1820, 1821, 1827, 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- Clarke County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1801 and Probate Records from 1801.The County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Clarke County Tax Digests are records scanned from microfilm in the Georgia Archives.
- Clarke County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Clarke County, Georgia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (missing), 1800 (missing), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Reconstructed 1790 Census of Georgia, Georgia Census Substitutes 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Clarke County, Georgia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1919 to present.
- Marriage Records: from June 9, 1952 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. Contact the County Clerk of Superior Court.
- Locations: Georgia Division of Public Health, Vital Records, 2600 Skyland Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30319; (404) 679-4702
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Clarke County, Georgia Resources
- Clarke-Oconee Genealogical Society
- East Georgia Genealogical Society
- Athens Historical Society
- Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation, Inc
- The Society for Georgia Archaeology
- University of Georgia Press
- Clarke County, Georgia Message Boards
Clarke County, Georgia External Links
- Georgia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Clarke County, Georgia Books - Amazon
- Clarke Co., Georgia - FindaGrave
- Georgia Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Georgia Virtual Vault - historical documents, from 1733 to the present
- Clarke County, Georgia Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Georgia (1752 - 1997)
- Clarke County, GA History
- Clarke Co. GAGenweb
- Clarke County Historical Chronology
- Clarke County, Georgia Ancestry Database Collections
- Historical Maps of Clarke County
- Clarke County, Georgia Military Records