Lea County, New Mexico Records
Lea County, New Mexico (Map It) was created on March 7, 1917 from Chaves County and Eddy County. The county was named in honor of Joseph Calloway Lea, a captain in the U.S. Army and the founder of the New Mexico Military Academy.
Lea County is bordered by Roosevelt County (north), Chaves County (west), Eddy County (west), Loving County, Texas (south), Winkler County, Texas (east), Andrews County, Texas (east), Gaines County, Texas (east), Yoakum County, Texas (east), Cochran County, Texas (northeast).
Lea County Cities and Towns include Eunice, Hobbs, Jal, Lovington, Tatum.
Lea County, New Mexico Courthouse Records
Lea County, NM Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lea county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
Also has transcribed records from parent counties starting 1913.
- Lea County Clerks office has Marriage Records from 1917, Land Records from 1918 and Probate Records from 1917. The County Clerks office has land records, including deeds, mining records, surveys, and plats; marriage records; and some probate records. Also Military discharges, liens, mortgages, powers of attorney, and miscellaneous affidavits may be found there.
- Lea County 5th District Court Clerk has many responsibilities which include courts of general jurisdiction, including probate and divorce, actions, as well as jury trials.
Lea County, New Mexico Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Mexico Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1920, 1930, 1940
- Territorial Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: None
Lea County, New Mexico Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Mexico Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from 1920 to present and delayed records since 1880.
- Marriage Records: None, See County Clerk's Office
- Divorce Records: None, See Magistrate Court's Office
- Locations: New Mexico Bureau of Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Mexico Vital Records and Health Statistics, 1105 St. Francis Dr., Santa Fe, NM 87502; (505) 827-0121
Lea County, New Mexico Resources
- Hobbs Family History Research Center, 3720 N. Grimes, Hobbs, New Mexico, 88240. Phone 505-392-6200
- Lea County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1044, Lovington, New Mexico, 88260.
- Lea County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1195, Lovington, New Mexico, 88260.
- Southeastern New Mexico Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 5725, Hobbs, New Mexico, 88240.
- Lea County, New Mexico Message Boards
Lea County, New Mexico External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New Mexico (1844–1973)
- Lea County, New Mexico Books - Amazon
- Lea Co., New Mexico - FindaGrave
- Lea County, New Mexico Links - Cyndi's List
- Lea Co. NMGenweb
- Lea County, New Mexico Ancestry Database Collections
- Lea County, New Mexico Military Records