Miami County, Kansas Records
Miami County, Kansas (Map It) was created on August 25, 1855 as one of the original 36 counties. Originally named Lykins County and was named for David Lykins, a Baptist missionary to the Confederated Tribes, whose mission was located just east of the modern city of Paola. The county was renamed Miami County on June 03, 1861 and named for the Miami Native Americans, who lived in the area..
Miami County is bordered by Johnson County (north), Cass County, Missouri (east), Bates County, Missouri, Linn County (south), Anderson County (southwest), Franklin County (west), Douglas County (northwest).
Miami County Cities and Towns include Paola, Osawatomie, Spring Hill, Louisburg and Fontana.
A Map of Miami County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Miami County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Miami County, KS Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Miami county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Miami County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1885-1911, Marriage Records from 1857 and Death Records from 1885-1911. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Miami County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1857. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Miami County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1857 and Court Records from 1858. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Miami County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Miami County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Miami County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Miami County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Miami County Swan River Museum
- Miami County Historical Society
- Miami County Genealogical Society, North Side of Square, Box 393, Paola, KS 66071
- Search for Miami Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Miami County, Kansas Message Boards
Miami County, Kansas External Links
- Kansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Miami County, Kansas Books - Amazon
- Miami Co., Kansas - FindaGrave
- Kansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Miami County, Kansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Miami County - Kansas Historical Society Biography
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981)
- Miami Co. KSGenweb
- Miami County, Kansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Miami County, Kansas Military Records