Harper County, Kansas Records
Harper County, Kansas (Map It) was created on February 26, 1867 (Organized in 1873) from Peketon Territory. The county was named in honor of Sgt. Marion Harper of Co. E, Second Kansas Cavalry, who died at Waldron, Ark., on 30 Dec 1863 of wounds received the previous day..
Harper County Cities and Towns include Anthony, Harper, Attica, Bluff City, Danville, Waldron, Freeport.
A Map of Harper County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Harper County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Harper County, KS Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Harper county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Harper County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1892-1910, Marriage Records from 1878 and Death Records from 1891-1913. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Harper County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1873. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Harper County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1873 and Court Records from 1878. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Harper County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Harper County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Harper County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Harper County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Harper County Genealogical Society
- Harper City Historical Society, 804 E 12th Street, Harper, KS 67058-1804
- Search for Harper Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Harper County, Kansas Message Boards
Harper County, Kansas External Links
- Kansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Harper County, Kansas Books - Amazon
- Harper Co., Kansas - FindaGrave
- Kansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Harper County, Kansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Harper County - Kansas Historical Society Biography (kshs.org)Harper County - Kansas Historical Society Biography
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981)
- Harper Co. KSGenweb
- Harper County, Kansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Harper County, Kansas Military Records