Greenwood County, Kansas Records
Greenwood County, Kansas (Map It) was created on August 25, 1855 (Organized on 1862) as one of the original 36 counties. The county was named in honor of Alfred B. Greenwood (1811-1889), , U.S. Representative from Arkansas and Kansas statehood advocate..
Greenwood County Cities and Towns include Eureka, Madison, Severy, Hamilton, Fall River, Virgil, Climax.
A Map of Greenwood County, Kansas contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Greenwood County, Kansas Courthouse Records
Greenwood County, KS Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Greenwood county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Greenwood County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1885-1911, Marriage Records from 1859 and Death Records from 1885-1911. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Greenwood County Register of Deeds Officehas Land Records from 1857. Phone 620-583-8162 The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Greenwood County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1865 and Court Records from 1880. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Greenwood County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
Greenwood County, Kansas Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1855, Census Collection, 1855-1925, 1919-1961
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Greenwood County, Kansas Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kansas Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1911 to present
- Marriage Records: from May 1, 1913 to present.
- Divorce Records: from July 1, 1951 to present.
- Locations: Kansas Office of Vital Statistics, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 S W Jackson, Suite 120, Topeka, KS 66612-2221; (785) 296-3253
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Greenwood County, Kansas Resources
- State of Kansas Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kansas
- Greenwood County Historical Society
- Search for Greenwood Co. records at the Kansas State Archives
- Greenwood County, Kansas Message Boards
Greenwood County, Kansas External Links
- Kansas Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Greenwood County, Kansas Books - Amazon
- Greenwood Co., Kansas - FindaGrave
- Kansas Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Greenwood County, Kansas Links - Cyndi's List
- Greenwood County - Kansas Historical Society Biography
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981)
- Greenwood Co. KSGenweb
- Greenwood County, Kansas Ancestry Database Collections
- Greenwood County, Kansas Military Records