Owsley County, Kentucky Records
Owsley County, Kentucky (Map It) was created on January 23, 1843 from Clay County, Estill County and Breathitt County. The county was named in honor of William Owsley, Kentucky Secretary of State and later Governor of Kentucky (1844–1848) .
Owsley County Cities and Towns include Booneville.
A Map of Owsley County, Kentucky contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Owsley County, Kentucky Courthouse Records
Owsley County, KY Courthouse
The Owsley County Courthouse is located in Booneville, Kentucky. In Jan 1929 and again on 5 Jan 1967, there were courthouse fires. In the 1929 fire, all records were destroyed. Learn More About State of Kentucky Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Owsley county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Owsleyd County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1852, Land Records from 1844 and Probate Records from 1930 - Will/Probate Record Request Form. The County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records, Probate records and Marriage Liscenses.
- Owsley County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court Records from 1923. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Owsley County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Owsley County Elected Officials
Owsley County, Kentucky Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Owsley County, Kentucky Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1911 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 1958 to present
- Locations: Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics, Kentucky State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, Department for Public Health, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 275 E. Main St., 1E-A, Frankfort, KY 40621.
Owsley County, Kentucky Resources
- The Owsley County History and Genealogy Society
- The Owsley County Historical Society
- Owsley County, Kentucky Message Boards
Owsley County, Kentucky External Links
- Kentucky Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Owsley County, Kentucky Books - Amazon
- Kentucky Vital Records Index
- Owsley Co., Kentucky - FindaGrave
- Kentucky Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Owsley County History
- Owsley County, KY History - The Kentucky Encyclopedia
- Owsley County, Kentucky Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Kentucky (1794-1922)
- Owsley Co. KYGenweb
- Owsley County, Kentucky Ancestry Database Collections
- Owsley County, Kentucky Military Records