Martin County, Kentucky Records
Martin County, Kentucky (Map It) was created on September 1, 1870 from Lawrence County, Floyd County, Pike County and Johnson County. The county was named in honor of John P. Martin, United States Congressman from Kentucky (1845–1847) .
Martin County is bordered by Lawrence County (northwest), Wayne County, West Virginia (northeast), Mingo County, West Virginia (southeast), Pike County (south), Floyd County (southwest), Johnson County (west).
Martin County Cities and Towns include Inez, Warfield.
A Map of Martin County, Kentucky contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Martin County, Kentucky Courthouse Records
Martin County, KY Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Martin county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Martind County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1871, Land Records from 1870 and Probate Records from 1861 - Will/Probate Record Request Form. The County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records, Probate records and Marriage Liscenses.
- Martin County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court Records from 1870. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Martin County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Martin County Elected Officials
Martin County, Kentucky Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Martin County, Kentucky Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1911 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 1958 to present
- Locations: Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics, Kentucky State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, Department for Public Health, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 275 E. Main St., 1E-A, Frankfort, KY 40621.
Martin County, Kentucky Resources
Martin County, Kentucky External Links
- Kentucky Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Martin County, Kentucky Books - Amazon
- Kentucky Vital Records Index
- Martin Co., Kentucky - FindaGrave
- Kentucky Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Martin County Kentucky Online
- Martin County, KY History - The Kentucky Encyclopedia
- Martin County, Kentucky Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Kentucky (1794-1922)
- Martin Co. KYGenweb
- Martin County, Kentucky Ancestry Database Collections
- Martin County, Kentucky Military Records