Knott County, Kentucky Records
Knott County, Kentucky (Map It) was created on May 5, 1884 from Perry County, Breathitt County, Floyd County and Letcher County. The county was named in honor of James Proctor Knott, twenty-ninth Governor of Kentucky (1883–1887).
Knott County Cities and Towns include Hindman, Pippa Passes, Hollybush.
A Map of Knott County, Kentucky contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Knott County, Kentucky Courthouse Records
Knott County, KY Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Knott county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Knott County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1884, Land Records from 1883 and Probate Records from 1891 - Will/Probate Record Request Form. The County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records, Probate records and Marriage Liscenses.
- Knott County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court Records from 1888. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Knott County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Knott County Elected Officials
Knott County, Kentucky Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Knott County, Kentucky Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1911 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 1958 to present
- Locations: Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics, Kentucky State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, Department for Public Health, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 275 E. Main St., 1E-A, Frankfort, KY 40621.
Knott County, Kentucky Resources
- Knott County Historical & Genealogical Society, Library & Musuem, Inc., 147 Carew Drive Hindman, KY 41822-8657; (606) 785-5751;
- Knott County Historical Society
- Knott County, Kentucky Message Boards
Knott County, Kentucky External Links
- Kentucky Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Knott County, Kentucky Books - Amazon
- Kentucky Vital Records Index
- Knott Co., Kentucky - FindaGrave
- Kentucky Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- KNOTT COUNTY KENTUCKY KINFOLK
- Knott County, KY History - The Kentucky Encyclopedia
- Knott County, Kentucky Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Kentucky (1794-1922)
- Knott Co. KYGenweb
- Knott County, Kentucky Ancestry Database Collections
- GIS & Mapping
- Knott County, Kentucky Military Records