Grayson County, Kentucky Records
Grayson County, Kentucky (Map It) was created on January 25, 1810 from the western part of Hardin County and the eastern part of Ohio County. The county was named in honor of William Grayson (1740–1790), aide to George Washington in the Revolutionary War and U.S. Senator from Virginia .
Grayson County Cities and Towns include Big Clifty, Caneyville, Clarkson, Leitchfield.
A Map of Grayson County, Kentucky contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Grayson County, Kentucky Courthouse Records
Grayson County, KY Courthouse
The Grayson County Courthouse is located in Leitchfield, Kentucky. Three courthouse fire destroyed some or all redords of the time. The first was on 24 Dec 1864. The second was on 16 Jun 1896 from which three record books were saved. No records were lost in the fire of 3 Apr 1936. Learn More About State of Kentucky Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Grayson county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Graysond County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1852, Land Records from 1896 and Probate Records from 1856 - Will/Probate Record Request Form. The County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records, Probate records and Marriage Liscenses.
- Grayson County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court Records from 1906. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Grayson County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Grayson County Elected Officials
Grayson County, Kentucky Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Census Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Grayson County, Kentucky Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1911 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 1958 to present
- Locations: Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics, Kentucky State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, Department for Public Health, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 275 E. Main St., 1E-A, Frankfort, KY 40621.
Grayson County, Kentucky Resources
- Grayson County Historical Society
- Ancestral Trails Historical Society
- Grayson County, Kentucky Message Boards
Grayson County, Kentucky External Links
- Kentucky Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Grayson County, Kentucky Books - Amazon
- Kentucky Vital Records Index
- Grayson Co., Kentucky - FindaGrave
- Kentucky Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Grayson County, KY History - The Kentucky Encyclopedia
- Grayson County, Kentucky Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Kentucky (1794-1922)
- Grayson Co. KYGenweb
- Grayson County, Kentucky Ancestry Database Collections
- Grayson County, Kentucky Military Records