Providence County, Rhode Island Records
Providence County, Rhode Island (Map It) was created on June 22, 1703 as an Original County. The county was named for Divine Providence.
Providence County is bordered by Norfolk County, Massachusetts (northeast), Bristol County, Massachusetts (east), Bristol County (southeast), Kent County (south), Windham County, Connecticut (west), Worcester County, Massachusetts (northwest).
Providence County Cities and Towns include Burrillville, Central Falls, Cranston, Cumberland, East Providence, Foster, Glocester, Johnston, Lincoln, North Providence, North Smithfield, Pawtucket, Providence, Scituate, Smithfield, Woonsocket
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Rhode Island maps.
Providence County, Rhode Island Courthouse Records
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Providence county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Burrillville was established in 1730 and incorporated in 1806 from Glocester. It has Land Records from 1806, Probate Records from 1806 and Court Records from 1806. Villages include Bridgeton, Echo Lake, Gazzaville, Glendale, Graniteville, Harrisville, Huntsville, Laurel Hill, Mapleville, Mohegan, Nasonville, Oak Valley, Oakland, Pascoag, Round Top, Sand Beach, Saxonville, Tarkiln, Wallum Lake, Whipple. Burrillville Town Clerk, 70 Main Street, Harrisville, RI 02830; (401) 568-4300. More info
- Central Falls was established in 1730 and incorporated in 1895 from Lincoln. It has Land Records from 1895, Probate Records from 1895 and Court Records from 1895. Early Smithfield records are in this office. Central Falls Town Clerk, 580 Broad Street, Central Falls, RI 02863; (401) 727-7400. More info
- Cranston was established in 1754 and incorporated in 1910 from Providence. It has Land Records from 1754, Probate Records from 1754 and Court Records from 1754. Villages include Arlington, Auburn, Bellefonte, Eden Park, Edgewood, Hope, Howard, Knightsville, Meshanticut Park, Oaklawn, Pawtuxet, Pettaconsett, Sockanosset, Thornton, Washington Park, West Arlington. Cranston City Clerk, City Hall, 869 Park Ave, Cranston, RI 02910; (401) 461-1000. More info
- Cumberland was established in 1746 and incorporated in 1746 from Attleboro Gore, Massachusetts. It has Land Records from 1747, Probate Records from 1747 and Court Records from 1747. Villages include Abbott Run, Arnold Mills, Ashton, Berkeley, Cumberland Hill, Cumberland Mills, Diamond Hill, Grants Mills, Lonsdale, Valley Falls. Earlier records, 1692—1747, are in Bristol County, Massachusetts at Taunton. Cumberland Town Clerk, 45 Broad St, Cumberland, RI 02864; (401) 728-2400. More info
- East Providence was established in 1812 and incorporated in 1958 from Rehoboth/Seekonk, Mass.. It has Land Records from 1862, Probate Records from 1862. Villages include Boyden Heights, Bullocks Point, Crescent Park, Fort Hill, Kent Heights, Narragansett Terrace, Omega, Phillipsdale, Riverside, Rumford, Silver Spring, Squantum, Watchemoket. See Rehoboth and Seekonk, Bristol County, Massachusetts, for earlier records. East Providence City Clerk, 145 Taunton Ave, E. Providence, RI 02914; (401) 435-7596. More info
- Foster was established in 1636 and incorporated in 1781 from Scituate. It has Land Records from 1781, Probate Records from 1781 and Court Records from 1781. Villages include Clayville, Foster Center, Moosup Valley, Mount Hygeia, North Foster, Pine Ridge, Ponagansett, South Foster, Vernon. Foster Town Clerk, South Killingly Rd, Foster, RI 02825; (401) 392-9200. More info
- Glocester was established in 1639 and incorporated in 1730-31 from Providence. It has Land Records from 1731, Probate Records from 1731 and Court Records from 1731. Villages include Bowdish, Chepachet, Clarkville, Durfee Hill, Harmony, Spring Grove, West Glocester. Glocester Town Clerk, P.O. Box B, Chepachet, RI 02814. More info
- Johnston was established in 1636 and incorporated in 1759 from Providence. It has Land Records from 1759, Probate Records from 1759 and Court Records from 1759. Villages include * Graniteville, Hughesdale, Merino, Morgan Mills, Moswansicut Lake, Simmonsville. Probates to 1898 at Providence City Archives, Providence 02903. Johnston Town Clerk, 1385 Hartford Ave, Johnston, RI 02919; (401) 351-6618. More info
- Lincoln was established in 1650 and incorporated in 1871 from Smithfield. It has Land Records from 1871, Probate Records from 1871 and Court Records from 1871. Villages include Albion, Fairlawn, Lime Rock, Lonsdale, Louisquisset, Manville, Saylesville. Records before 1895 in Central Falls City Clerk’s Office. Lincoln Town Clerk, 100 Old River Rd, Lincoln, RI 02865; (401) 333-1100. More info
- North Providence was established in 1636 and incorporated in 1765 from Providence. It has Land Records from 1765, Probate Records from 1765 and Court Records from 1765. Villages include Allendale, Centerdale, Fruit Hill, Geneva, Greystone, Louisquisset, Lymansville, Marieville, Wanskuck, Woodville. North Providence Town Clerk, City Hall, 2008 Smith St, N. Providence, RI 02911; (401) 232-0900. More info
- North Smithfield was established in 1730 and incorporated in 1871 from Smithfield. It has Land Records from 1871, Probate Records from 1871 and Court Records from 1871. Villages include Branch Village, Crystal Lake, Forestdale, Primrose, Slatersville, Union Village, Waterford, Woonsocket Hill. North Smithfield Town Clerk, 1 Main St, Slatersville, RI 02876; (401) 767-2200. More info
- Pawtucket was established in 1671 and incorporated in 1954 from Pawtucket, Mass., North Providence, R.I.. It has Land Records from 1862, Probate Records from 1862 and Court Records from 1862. Villages include Beverage Hill, Darlington, Fairlawn, Lebanon, Pleasant View, Woodlawn. Incorporated 1885. See Seekonk, Bristol County Massachusetts, Northern District for earlier records. Pawtucket City Clerk, City Hall, 137 Roosevelt Ave, Pawtucket, RI 02860; (401) 728-0500. More info
- The City of Providence was established in 1636 and incorporated in 1832 as an original city. It has Land Records from 1636, Probate Records from 1636 and Court Records from 1636. Villages include Dyerville, Edgewood, Elmwood, Federal Hill, Fox Point, Geneva, Manton, Mt. Pleasant, Olneyville, Silver Lake, Smith Hill, Starvegoat Island, Tockwotton, Washington Park. Providence City Archives has earlier deeds and vital records for Providence and Johnston; probates to 1898 More info
- Scituate was established in 1636 and incorporated in 1730 from Providence. It has Land Records from 1731, Probate Records from 1731 and Court Records from 1731. Villages include Chopmist, Clayville, Fiskeville, Glenn Rock, Hope, Jackson, North Scituate, Ponagansett, Rockland, Saundersville. Scituate Town Clerk, Main St, N. Scituate, RI 02857; (401) 647-2822. More info
- Smithfield was established in 1636 and incorporated in 730 from Providence. It has Land Records from 1731, Probate Records from 1731 and Court Records from 1731. Villages include Esmond, Georgiaville, Greenville, Mountaindale, Spragueville, Stillwater, West Greenville. Records to 1870 are in city clerk’s office, Central Falls 02863. Smithfield Town Clerk, 64 Farnum Pike, Esmond, RI 02917; (401) 233-1000. More info
- Woonsocket was established in 1867 and incorporated in 1888 from Cumberland / Smithfield. It has Land Records from 1867, Probate Records from 1867 and Court Records from 1867. Villages include Fairmount, Globe, Hamlet, Social. City Hall has copies of earlier deeds from parent towns beginning 1847. Woonsocket Town Clerk, City Hall, 169 Main St, Woonsocket, RI 02895; (401) 762-6400. More info
Providence County, Rhode Island Census Records
- Learn More: State of Rhode Island Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- RI Census Substitutes Records: 1740-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1774, 1777, 1885, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Providence County, Rhode Island Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Rhode Island Vital Records
- Birth and Marriage Records: for prior 100 years to present. For records older than 100 years may be obtained from the city or town hall where the event happened or the Rhode Island State Archives.
- Death Records: for prior 50 years to present. For records older than 50 years may be obtained from the city or town hall where the event happened or the Rhode Island State Archives.
- Divorce Records: for Divorce records 1962 to present are located at the Family Court, Garrahy Judicial Complex. Divorce Records prior to 1962 are at the RI Supreme Court Judicial Records Center.
- Locations: State of Rhode Island Department of Health, Rhode Island State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Civil Union Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Rhode Island Dept of Health, 3 Capitol Hill, Rm. 101, Providence, RI 02908-5097; (401) 222-2811
Providence County, Rhode Island Resources
- Audubon Society of Rhode Island
- Blackstone Valley Historical Society
- Burrillville Historical and Preservation Society
- Cranston Historical Society
- East Providence Historical Society and Museum
- Elizabeth J. Johnson Pawtucket History Research Center
- Foster Preservation Society
- Glocester Heritage Society
- Historical Society of Smithfield
- Johnston Historical Society
- North Smithfield Heritage Association, 802 Pound Hill Road, North Smithfield, RI 02896; Street address: 190 School Street, North Smithfield, RI 02896; TEL: (401) 766-0701
- Providence City Archives, City Hall
- Rhode Island Black Heritage Society
- Rhode Island State Library
- Rhode Island Historical Society Library
- Woonsocket Historical and Preservation Society, 42 South Main Street, Garden Level, Woonsocket, RI 02895; TEL: (401) 356-0067
- Providence County, Rhode Island Message Boards
- Providence County, Rhode Island Genealogy Boards
Providence County, Rhode Island External Links
- Rhode Island Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Rhode Island (1732–1921)
- Semi-centennial of the Providence journal : January 3, 1870.
- Providence County, Rhode Island Books - Amazon
- The early records of the town of Providence
- Providence Early Town Records
- List of persons, copartnerships, and corporations assessed in the city tax ordered by the city council of the city of Providence
- Tax lists of the town of Providence: during the administration of Sir Edmund Andros and his council, 1686-1689
- Index to The early records of the town of Providence, volumes I- XXI : containing also a summary of the contents of the volumes
- Providence Co., Rhode Island - FindaGrave
- Genealogies of Rhode Island Families, Vol. I
- Seventeenth century place-names of Providence plantations
- A Modern city : Providence, Rhode Island and its activities
- King's pocket-book of Providence, R.I.
- History of Providence County, Rhode Island
- Annals of the town of Providence : from its first settlement to the organization of the city government in June, 1832
- An illustrated history of Pawtucket, Central Falls, and vicinity
- Providence County, Rhode Island Links - Cyndi's List
- Providence Co. RIGenweb
- Providence County, Rhode Island Ancestry Database Collections
- Register of Seamen's Protection Certificates from the Providence, Rhode Island Customs District, 1796-1870
- Proceedings at the dedication of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument in Providence
- Providence County, Rhode Island Military Records
- Providence, Rhode Island Directory, 1890
- Pawtucket, Rhode Island Directories, 1890-92
- Woonsocket, Rhode Island Directories, 1890-93
- Johnston, Rhode Island Directory, 1892
- Rhode Island City Directories
- Directory of churches and religious organizations of Rhode Island