Guidelines For making Requests on RAOGK
Requesting Guidelines for Lookups
Please read the FAQs in this section before you decide to make a Request from a RAOGK volunteer.
The volunteers of Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness have agreed to donate their time for free. So always be courteous and patient.
Our staff has put together this Guide for making requests for you to view and read before making any requests.
Follow these common rules when searching and asking for a volunteer to do a lookup.
- All volunteers are listed in the Volunteer Directory. Go to Country then state or region to locate someone in your area to do a lookup.
- If there is no volunteer listed in for area of inquiry, please check back another time. We are still growing and getting new volunteers everyday.
- DO NOT not send your requests for lookups to the site admins, or the site’s hosting service. Requests sent to either one WILL NOT be answered.
- When making a request, please use the request form on the individual volunteer’s listing. You may not get a response if you email a volunteer directly.
- Most request should responded to within a week at most. If you do not receive any acknowledgement within that time then contact the site admins.
- While the volunteers have agreed to donate their time for free, they may ask for reimbursement for his/her expenses in fulfilling your request if they ask for it. For example copies, printing fees, postage, film or video tape, parking fees, etc.
- If you are asked for money for expenses please use paypal or an equivalent service. Never send cash or checks by mail.
- PLEASE Rate your Volunteer to tell them and others how they did!
Frequently Asked Questions