Wayne County, Illinois Records
Wayne County, Illinois (Map It) was created on March 26, 1819 from Edwards County. Wayne County was named for Gen. "Mad" Anthony Wayne (1745-1796), major general in the United States Army in the American Revolutionary War and the Northwest Indian War.
Wayne County is bordered by Clay County (north), Richland County (northeast), Edwards County (east), White County (southeast), Hamilton County (south), Jefferson County (southwest), Marion County (northwest)
Wayne County Cities, Towns & Villages include Cisne, Fairfield, Golden Gate, Jeffersonville, Johnsonville, Keenes, Mill Shoals, Mount Erie, Sims, Wayne City.
Wayne County Townships include Leech, Keith, Lamard, Hickory Hill, Indian Prairie, Jasper, Elm River, Garden Hill, Four Mile, Grover, Big Mound, Berry, Arrington, Barnhill, Bedford, Orel, Orchard, Massilon, Mount Erie, Zif.. View the Wayne Federal Township Plats of Illinois from 1804-1891.
A Wayne County, Illinois General Highway Maps includes County, City and Township maps which contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Wayne County, Illinois Courthouse Records
Wayne County, IL Courthouse
The Wayne County Courthouse is located in Fairfield, Illinois. Total record loss (1819–1886) due to a fire on November 17, 1886. Learn More About State of Illinois Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Wayne county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Wayne County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1850, Birth & Death Records from 1870 / 1886 and Land Records from 1865. The County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Wayne County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Probate Records from 1886 and Court Records from 1819. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Wayne County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Local Government Records Database provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
Wayne County, Illinois Census Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1825-1865
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Wayne County, Illinois Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1916 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1962 to present.
- Locations: Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records, 925 East Ridgely Ave., Springfield, IL 62702-2737; (217) 782-6553
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Wayne County, Illinois Resources
- State of Illinois Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Illinois
- Eastern Illinois University, Booth Library
- Wayne County, Illinois Message Boards
Wayne County, Illinois External Links
- Illinois Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Map of Wayne County and its civil and congressional townships
- Wayne County, Illinois Books - Amazon
- Wayne Co., Illinois - FindaGrave
- Illinois Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Fact Sheet for Wayne County - Illinois State Archives
- Wayne County, Illinois Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Illinois (1808 - 1922)
- Wayne Co. ILGenweb
- Wayne County, Illinois Ancestry Database Collections
- Wayne County, Illinois Military Records