Morgan County, Illinois Records
Morgan County, Illinois (Map It) was created on January 31, 1823 from unorganized land and Sangamon County. Morgan County was named for Gen. Daniel Morgan (1736-1802), successful tactician in the American Revolutionary War and later United States Representative from Virginia.
Morgan County Precincts include Alexander, Arcadia, Centerville, Chapin, Concord, Franklin, Jacksonville, Literberry, Lynnville, Markham, Meredosia, Murrayville, Nortonville, Pisgah, Prentice, Sinclair, Waverly, Woodson. View the Morgan Federal Township Plats of Illinois from 1804-1891.
A Morgan County, Illinois General Highway Maps includes County, City and Township maps which contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Morgan County, Illinois Courthouse Records
Morgan County, IL Courthouse
The Morgan County Courthouse is located in Jacksonville, Illinois. Most records lost (1823–1827) due to a Fire on December 6, 1827 Learn More About State of Illinois Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Morgan county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Morgan County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1827, Birth & Death Records from 1851 and Land Records from 1824. The County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Morgan County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Probate Records from 1824 and Court Records from 1827. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Morgan County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Local Government Records Database provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
Morgan County, Illinois Census Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1825-1865
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Morgan County, Illinois Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1916 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1962 to present.
- Locations: Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records, 925 East Ridgely Ave., Springfield, IL 62702-2737; (217) 782-6553
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Morgan County, Illinois Resources
- State of Illinois Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Illinois
- Jacksonville Area Genealogical & Historical Society
- Meredosia Area Historical & Genealogical Society, PO Box 304, Meredosia IL 62665
- Waverly Genealogical & Historical Society, 157 E. Tremont, Waverly IL 62692
- University of Illinois at Springfield (UIS), Illinois Regional Archives Depository
- Morgan County, Illinois Message Boards
Morgan County, Illinois External Links
- Illinois Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Map of Morgan County and its civil and congressional townships
- Morgan County, Illinois Books - Amazon
- Morgan Co., Illinois - FindaGrave
- Illinois Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Fact Sheet for Morgan County - Illinois State Archives
- Morgan County, Illinois Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Illinois (1808 - 1922)
- Morgan Co. ILGenweb
- Morgan County, Illinois Ancestry Database Collections
- Morgan County, Illinois Military Records