Menard County, Illinois Records
Menard County, Illinois (Map It) was created on February 15, 1839 from Sangamon County. Menard County was named for Pierre Menard (1766-1844), prominent early settler and first Lieutenant Governor of Illinois.
Menard County Cities, Towns & Villages include Athens, Greenview, Oakford, Petersburg, Tallula
Menard County Precincts include Athens North No. 2, Athens South No. 1, Atterberry No. 10, Fancy Prairie No. 3, Greenview No. 6, Indian Creek No. 7, Irish Grove No. 4, Oakford No. 9, Petersburg East No. 13, Petersburg North No. 14, Petersburg South No. 15, Petersburg West No. 16, Rock Creek No. 12, Sandridge No. 8, Sugar Grove No. 5, Tallula No. 11. View the Menard Federal Township Plats of Illinois from 1804-1891.
A Menard County, Illinois General Highway Maps includes County, City and Township maps which contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Menard County, Illinois Courthouse Records
Menard County, IL Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Menard county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Menard County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1839, Birth & Death Records from 1877 and Land Records from 1821. The County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Menard County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Probate Records from 1839 and Court Records from 1839. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Menard County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Local Government Records Database provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
Menard County, Illinois Census Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1825-1865
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Menard County, Illinois Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1916 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1962 to present.
- Locations: Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records, 925 East Ridgely Ave., Springfield, IL 62702-2737; (217) 782-6553
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Menard County, Illinois Resources
- State of Illinois Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Illinois
- University of Illinois at Springfield (UIS), Illinois Regional Archives Depository
- Menard County, Illinois Message Boards
Menard County, Illinois External Links
- Illinois Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Map of Menard County and its civil and congressional townships
- Menard County, Illinois Books - Amazon
- Menard Co., Illinois - FindaGrave
- Illinois Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Fact Sheet for Menard County - Illinois State Archives
- 1874 "Illustrated Atlas of Menard County" Maps, Biographies, Histories, Photos and more
- 1879 "History of Menard & Mason Counties" Currently the Menard Co history portion of this book is hosted at the MAGA site, you will need to use your "Back" button to return here --The Every Name Index is also available and covers the entire book
- 1872 "They Left Their Mark in Oakford" A collection of photos and brief stories about people and places in Oakford
- 1902 "Pioneers of Menard & Mason Counties" Much of this book deals with Abe Lincoln's early days in the area, but it also includes stories of other early families, churches, etc. --An Every-Name Index is also available
- 1902 "Old Settlers Reunion" A brief article that lists the names of the "old settlers" who have died since the last reunion
- "History of Petersburg" A previously unpublished account, narrated by J. Colby Beekman, tells many interesting details about the birth of Petersburg and it's residents
- Menard County, Illinois Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Illinois (1808 - 1922)
- Menard Co. ILGenweb
- Menard County, Illinois Ancestry Database Collections
- Menard County, Illinois Military Records