Lawrence County, Illinois Records
Lawrence County, Illinois (Map It) was created on January 16, 1821 from Crawford County and Edwards County. Lawrence County was named for Capt. James Lawrence (1781-1813), commander of the USS Chesapeake in the War of 1812. Famous for his command "Don't give up the ship!".
Lawrence County Cities, Towns & Villages include Bridgeport, Lawrenceville, St. Francisville, Sumner, Birds, Russellville.
Lawrence County Townships include Lawrence, Bridgeport, Bond, Allison, Christy, Denison, Petty, Lukin, Russell. View the Lawrence Federal Township Plats of Illinois from 1804-1891.
A Lawrence County, Illinois General Highway Maps includes County, City and Township maps which contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Lawrence County, Illinois Courthouse Records
Lawrence County, IL Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lawrence county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Lawrence County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1821, Birth & Death Records from 1877 and Land Records from 1818. The County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Lawrence County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Probate Records from 1821 and Court Records from 1820. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Lawrence County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Local Government Records Database provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
Lawrence County, Illinois Census Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1825-1865
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Lawrence County, Illinois Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1916 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1962 to present.
- Locations: Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records, 925 East Ridgely Ave., Springfield, IL 62702-2737; (217) 782-6553
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Lawrence County, Illinois Resources
- State of Illinois Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Illinois
- Lawrence County Historical Society
- Lawrence County Genealogical Society, RR 1, Box 44, Bridgeport 62417
- Eastern Illinois University, Booth Library
- Lawrence County, Illinois Message Boards
Lawrence County, Illinois External Links
- Illinois Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Map of Lawrence County and its civil and congressional townships
- Lawrence County, Illinois Books - Amazon
- Lawrence Co., Illinois - FindaGrave
- Illinois Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Fact Sheet for Lawrence County - Illinois State Archives
- Lawrence County, Illinois Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Illinois (1808 - 1922)
- Lawrence Co. ILGenweb
- Lawrence County, Illinois Ancestry Database Collections
- Lawrence County, Illinois Military Records