Lake County, Illinois Records
Lake County is bordered by Kenosha County, Wisconsin (north), Allegan County, Michigan (northeast), Van Buren County, Michigan (east), Berrien County, Michigan (southeast), Cook County (south), McHenry County (west)
Lake County Cities, Towns & Villages include Waukegan, North Chicago, Highland Park, Zion, Lake Forest, Park City, Highwood, Buffalo Grove, Mundelein, Gurnee, Round Lake Beach, Libertyville, Vernon Hills, Grayslake, Deerfield, Lake Zurich, Lindenhurst, Barrington, Beach Park, Wauconda, Fox Lake, Antioch, Island Lake, Long Grove, Winthrop Harbor, Lincolnshire, Lake Bluff, Round Lake Park, Hawthorn Woods, Lake Villa, Round Lake, Fox River Grove, Lake Barrington, Barrington Hills, Riverwoods, Green Oaks, Kildeer, Deer Park, Wadsworth, North Barrington, Lakemoor, Hainesville, Bannockburn, Third Lake, Round Lake Heights, Tower Lakes, Port Barrington, Mettawa, Old Mill Creek, Indian Creek, Volo.
Lake County Townships include Libertyville, Lake Villa, Ela, Fremont, Grant, Benton, Antioch, Avon, Cuba, Moraine, Newport, Shields, Vernon, West Deerfield, Warren, Waukegan, Wauconda, Zion. View the Lake Federal Township Plats of Illinois from 1804-1891.
A Lake County, Illinois General Highway Maps includes County, City and Township maps which contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Lake County, Illinois Courthouse Records
Lake County, IL Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lake county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Lake County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1839 and Birth & Death Records from 1877. The County Clerk maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County.
- Lake County Recorder of Deeds has Land Records from 1839. The County Recorder of Deeds serves the people of County by receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Lake County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Probate Records from 1839 and Court Records from 1840. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Lake County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Local Government Records Database provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
Lake County, Illinois Census Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1825-1865
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Lake County, Illinois Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1916 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1962 to present.
- Locations: Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records, 925 East Ridgely Ave., Springfield, IL 62702-2737; (217) 782-6553
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Lake County, Illinois Resources
- State of Illinois Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Illinois
- Lake County History Archives
- Barrington Area Historical Society
- Lake County Genealogical Society
- Lakes Region Historical Society and Museum
- Warren Township Historical Society
- Ela Historical Society and Museum
- Waukegan Historical Society
- Zion Genealogical Society
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository
- Lake County, Illinois Message Boards
Lake County, Illinois External Links
- Illinois Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Map of Lake County and its civil and congressional townships
- Lake County, Illinois Books - Amazon
- Lake Co., Illinois - FindaGrave
- Illinois Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Fact Sheet for Lake County - Illinois State Archives
- Lake County, Illinois Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Illinois (1808 - 1922)
- Lake Co. ILGenweb
- Lake County, Illinois Ancestry Database Collections
- Lake County, Illinois Military Records