Hamilton County, Illinois Records
Hamilton County, Illinois (Map It) was created on February 8, 1821 from White County . Hamilton County was named for Alexander Hamilton (1755–1804), first United States Secretary of the Treasury.
Hamilton County is bordered by Wayne County (north), White County (east), Gallatin County (southeast), Saline County (south), Franklin County (west), Jefferson County (northwest)
Hamilton County Cities, Towns & Villages include Belle Prairie City, Broughton, Dahlgren, Dale, Macedonia, McLeansboro.
Hamilton County Townships include Knights Prairie, Flannigan, Beaver Creek, Dahlgren, Crook, Crouch, Mayberry, McLeansboro, South Flannigan, South Twigg, South Crouch, Twigg. View the Hamilton Federal Township Plats of Illinois from 1804-1891.
A Hamilton County, Illinois General Highway Maps includes County, City and Township maps which contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Hamilton County, Illinois Courthouse Records
Hamilton County, IL Courthouse
The Hamilton County Courthouse is located in McLeansboro, Illinois. Learn More About State of Illinois Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hamilton county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Hamilton County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1821, Birth & Death Records from 1878 and Land Records from 1823. The County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Hamilton County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Probate Records from 1821 and Court Records from 1821. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Hamilton County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Local Government Records Database provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
Hamilton County, Illinois Census Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1825-1865
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Hamilton County, Illinois Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1916 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1962 to present.
- Locations: Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records, 925 East Ridgely Ave., Springfield, IL 62702-2737; (217) 782-6553
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Hamilton County, Illinois Resources
- State of Illinois Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Illinois
- Hamilton County Historical Society, Museum and Genealogy Library
- Southern Illinois University (SIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository
- Hamilton County, Illinois Message Boards
Hamilton County, Illinois External Links
- Illinois Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Map of Hamilton County and its civil and congressional townships
- Hamilton County, Illinois Books - Amazon
- Hamilton Co., Illinois - FindaGrave
- Illinois Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Fact Sheet for Hamilton County - Illinois State Archives
- Hamilton County, Illinois Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Illinois (1808 - 1922)
- Hamilton Co. ILGenweb
- Hamilton County, Illinois Ancestry Database Collections
- Hamilton County, Illinois Military Records